Question

Dental Implant

Do dental implants work?

• Most patients find that a dental implant is secure, stable and a good replacement for their own tooth. If you are in good general health, with a jawbone that can support it, implants may be an option for you.

With careful treatment planning and good oral care, dental implants can provide a healthy, stable smile for a lifetime.

• AJohn B. Nase, Dentist, answered

Dental implants are a great option for replacing teeth for most patients. Advantages include the ability to clean and maintain them similar to a real tooth, they are fixed instead of removable like a denture that needs to be taken out at night, they don't decay (because there is no natural teeth involved), and dental implants have a long track record of success. Some disadvantages include the fact that there is a surgical procedure involved in getting one (although it can be "no big deal" for many patients) and that they come with a "state-of-the-art" price tag.

• ARealAge answered
    Dental implants can work very well for replacing lost teeth in adults. Instead of a permanent bridge or a removable denture, dental implants made of titanium metal are surgically placed in your jawbone, where they fuse to the bone, allowing a permanent crown to be attached. The vast majority of dental implants placed more than 20 years ago are still functioning well, with a success rate of about 95%, according to the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons.
  • A Dr. Teresa DeStefano, Dentist, answered

If a patient has to lose a tooth, I will consult with them regarding the use of Implant retained restorations. First, I like to ask them what they think they know about implants. It is interesting to hear the range of answers. 

I like to explain Implants in the following way:

An "Implant" is the sum of 3 parts: 

1. The Fixture: This is a titanium screw, which is placed in an appropriate bone site that will heal in and support whatever is attached to it later on. The final restoration may be a single crown, a bridge, or perhaps an overdenture attachment. Placement of the fixture is typically performed by a periodontist or oral surgeon. The healing period can be 4-6 months depending on the bone quality. 
    2. The Abutment: The abutment is the connector between the implant fixture and the restoration. Sometimes it looks like a mini-tooth, which will hold a crown. Other times it can be a "locator attachment" which snaps into a denture to help it hold better. A lab makes the abutment and your general dentist will make the impressions for it. 
    3. The Restoration: This can be a single crown, a bridge, or an overdenture. The restoration is screwed into, or cemented on the abutment. 
    My experience with implants in general has been positive. A carefully thought out and well executed treatment plan by a team that includes a restorative dentist, a surgeon and a laboratory leads to a successful result. 

As with any medical treatment, risks are involved. Some patients are not good candidates for implants. A careful review of the patient's medical history, and medications are part of determining if they are a good candidate. 

Will a dental implant procedure be painful?