Question

Dental Implant

How are dental implants different from natural teeth?

• ADe Vizio, DMD, Dentistry, answered on behalf of Colgate
    Dental implants are titanium root devices that are surgically placed in the jawbone by a dentist or oral surgeon. While a normal tooth has roots that go deep into the gum, the dental implant acts as the "roots" or new base for a crown (cap or fake tooth), denture, or implant-supported bridge. After the dental implant has healed, a replacement tooth is snapped onto the implant. Unlike conventional dentures or bridges, the dental implant feels more like a healthy tooth and may last for years.
  • Nothing can take the place of a healthy set of natural teeth. But if you have lost teeth from disease or an accident, dental implants are a very effective way to replace missing teeth.

Dental implants are not teeth but are posts that are surgically placed in the upper or lower jaw, where they function as a sturdy anchor for replacement teeth. Because they fuse with the jawbone, they offer firm support to man-made teeth such as dentures or bridges. This secure fit makes man-made teeth feel more natural than typical bridges or dentures. Dental implants also help to preserve the bone after teeth are lost or extracted.

With good care, dental implants can last a lifetime. If you are in good general health, with a jawbone that can support an implant, this treatment may be an option for you. Talk to your dentist to see if you are a good candidate for dental implants.

How should I take care of my dental implant?