There are pros and cons many older people are choosing implants over dentures as a replacement for lost teeth. One reason may be because wearing dentures can cause you to look older. Wrinkles may form around the mouth and lips because the bone that once supported the teeth has resorbed. With implants the bone that supports the new implant will not deteriorate because it is being actively used. Implants are typically much more expensive than dentures. Your dentist or periodontist can discuss the costs, risks, and benefits of both.
A Answers (4)
American Dental Association answered
Because dental implants fuse with a person's own jawbone, they can offer a more firm support to man-made teeth. They also keep dentures, bridges or single teeth mounted so they don't slip or shift in your mouth. For some, dental implants help man-made teeth (dentures) feel more natural.
No single dental treatment is better than another. If you have any questions about which dental treatments are best for you, talk to your dentist.
LaMont Gee, Dentist, answered
Implants are certainly more stable than dentures and will provide a solid foundation for whatever type of tooth replacement is chosen, and there are many options to consider.
Implants can be used to support bridges that replace all of the teeth. These remain in the mouth and must be cared for in the same manner as natural teeth. Implants can also be used to support and stabilize a traditional denture, giving it stability and improved function. Then between these two options there are many other combinations and options. So the question of which is better depends in large measure on the conditions in the mouth combined with the desires of the patient.
Peggy Rosen, Dentist, answered
Yes, dental implants is better than dentures. Here are the reasons:
- Implants feel and look more natural than dentures
- Implant is retained better in patients mouth because it is permanently fused to the bone; dentures is removable and lay on top of the bone cause it to move slightly while chewing or talking
- Implants last more than 40 years. Most dentures become lose or broken before 40 years
- In chewing; implants are more efficient than dentures
- The teeth in implants are custom made; the teeth in dentures are not custom made