A metal dental crown, like all dental crowns, is a cover or cap your dentist puts on your tooth to help restore the tooth to its normal shape, size and function.
Metal dental crowns are used to treat several conditions. For instance, you may need a metal dental crown if you:
- have a cavity that is too large for a filling;
- have a missing tooth that needs a bridge;
- need to cover a dental implant;
- have a tooth that is cracked, worn down or otherwise weakened;
- have had root canal treatment; the crown helps protect the restored tooth;
- want to cover a discolored or badly-shaped tooth and improved your smile.
To decide on what material for your crown, your dentist considers the tooth location, the position of the gum tissue and your personal preference.