Question

Dental Crown

Does insurance cover a dental crown?

• ASaul Miller, Dentistry, answered

Yes, no and maybe.

Some insurance plans cover crowns at the benefit level they allow for major services and prosthetics. Other plans may cover single crowns at a somewhat higher level, but less than benefits for fillings. There may be a deductible and copay with the amount determined by the insurance contract. Some plans do not cover crown services at all. In addition, benefits may be limited or not available at all, depending on annual maximum and plan limitations, such as frequency of service and reason for crown placement or replacement. Not infrequently insurance carriers will only cover a fixed bridge (crowns connected by a false tooth) if the missing tooth was extracted while covered by the present dental plan. Quite confusing, eh?

As with many dental services when you have a dental plan, it is often best to predetermine treatment for an estimate of your out-of-pocket costs.

• AJerry Gordon, Dentistry, answered
    Most dental insurance will cover 50% of the cost of a crown. It is categorized as "major" by most insurance plans. Check with your dental office to see what the cost will be ahead of time. Your office should be able to send an x-ray of your tooth to your insurance carrier and find out exactly what it will cost you out of pocket.
Can I drive myself home after getting a dental crown?