Question

Dental Bridge

How should I care for my dental bridge?

• ADe Vizio, DMD, Dentist, answered on behalf of Colgate
    One of the best ways to care for your dental bridge, which replaces one or more missing teeth, is to keep your remaining teeth healthy and strong. With good oral hygiene, you can keep your dental bridge for 5 to 10 years. Brush twice a day and floss daily to prevent tooth decay and gum disease. See your dentist regularly for cleanings and other treatment to make sure you don't lose any of your teeth. Also, eat a balanced diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables, and nutrients.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • ALarry Litman, Dentist, answered
    You should care for your bridge like you do any of your other teeth. Brush, Floss, etc. Yes, there are challenges with care like cleaning underneath the fake tooth. I usually suggest to my patients to use some type of oral irrigation device to clean the most difficult areas under the bridge. These devices can be used everywhere in the mouth and there are several on the market. Very reasonably priced especially considering that you spent a great deal of money for your fixed bridge.
  • ACarol Jahn, Dentist, answered
    Dental bridges present unique cleaning challenges. You need to clean in between the teeth that are supporting the bridge as well as underneath the bridge. Using dental floss for this procedure requires a nylon threader. This is hard to do for many people as it is slippery and requires exact placement to get between the teeth. Interproximal brushes are an option but they are dependent upon having enough space between the teeth to get them through. One easy to use product for cleaning around bridges is a water flosser. It has been shown to be as effective as string floss for removing plaque and more effective in reducing bleeding and gingivitis. 
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • ASaul Miller, Dentist, answered
    First, it depends what type of bridge is being discussed. 

A removable partial denture, called a bridge by some people, should be cleaned after eating and preferably not worn at night. Also, your teeth should also at least be brushed, if not flossed also, after eating. When cleaning a removable partial denture, it should be done over a sink partially filled with water or with a towel covering the basin. This will help to prevent damage to the denture if it is dropped. Never ever try to adjust or repair the denture yourself. You may damage it or not get any broken pieces back in correct alignment.

A fixed partial denture, also called a bridge, is composed of caps/crowns that are connected by a pontic that replaces a missing tooth. This type of bridge requires essentially the same maintenance as natural teeth such as brushing, flossing (with special nylon floss threaders to get under the bridge) and interproximal brushing. In addition, depending on the materials used in bridge fabrication, it may be necessary to take extra care not to bite in hard substances, and wearing a niteguard may be indicated.
Does a dental bridge change how I speak?