Question

Daily Skin Care

What are good inexpensive skin care products?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    What's an inexpensive drugstore product that treats skin problems?

Most medicine cabinets are full to bursting with skin care products. In this video, Dr. Oz reveals how you can solve many of your skin problems with one inexpensive product.

• ARealAge answered

The following are basic skin care beauty bargains.

• Vaseline—It’s the best lip moisturizer. And talk about cheap! By the way, don’t use any lip balms that contain phenol (Blistex does, for one). They strip the top layer off your lips. That’s why you get addicted to them; they remove your natural protection.
    • For body lotions: Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream and Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Body Lotion. I go to the local warehouse club and buy big tubs of Cetaphil cream or the giant pump dispenser of Norwegian Formula—they’re both terrific.
    • Also at the local warehouse club, I buy Dove or Purpose soap by the case. (If your skin is as touchy as mine, buy Dove in the fragrance-free or sensitive-skin formulas.) Neither of these is expensive anyway, but they’re a little more than some supermarket brands, so why not buy in bulk and save the difference? They don’t strip your skin of good oils.
    • For sunscreens, Neutrogena Sensitive Skin SPF 30 sun block lotion is a world-class bargain. It contains 9.1 percent titanium dioxide, a crushed mineral that protects you instantly.
    • Safflower oil. Yes, the kitchen oil you buy at the grocery. It’s a super moisturizer, especially for gator-dry legs, and gentle enough for babies (some hospitals use it on newborns). This heart-friendly, polyunsaturated oil owes its famous skin-enriching actions on its very high linoleic acid content, a fatty acid that skin normally makes to keep its moisture level up and barrier function intact. Since our body’s linoleic acid production gets sluggish as we get older (it’s why older people can have brutally dry skin), safflower oil helps replace it—from the outside in! Smooth it on immediately after a bath or shower while you’re still damp to seal in the moisture. (Don’t overdo; it takes a bit to soak in.)

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

What products should I use to keep my skin healthy and beautiful?