Question

Controlling Appetite

What can I do to reduce my cravings for sweets?

• ALisa Lillien, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered
    Lisa Lillien - What can I do to reduce my cravings for sweets?

If you've got a sweet tooth that just won't let up, you don't have to give in. In this video, Hungry Girl author Lisa Lillien reveals her secret weapon for killing sweet cravings instantly.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Craving Sweets

If you crave sugary foods, you have to retrain yourself to eat less sweets.

Watch the video to learn more from Dr. Oz about what you can do to reduce cravings for sweets.

Helpful? 5 people found this helpful.
  • AMolly Morgan, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered

Sometime simple swaps will do the trick to curb a craving, check out some of my favorite simple swaps that I shared with Redbook Magazine: http://www.redbookmag.com/health-wellness/advice/junk-food-swaps-1?click=list#slide-1.

Also I must add that distracting yourself when a craving takes hold can be very effective like: taking a walk, calling a friend, playing with your kids, writing a letter or email to a friend!

• AWeight Watchers® answered
    Cravings are those intense desires to eat a particular food, strong enough that you may go out of your way to get it. Researchers know we have cravings, but they don't know exactly why. A craving can mean your diet is too restrictive, or you could be craving a food that you simply haven't eaten in a long time. Don't ignore your craving: If you feel deprived, you might give up and overindulge in the craved food. Here are three steps to help you manage your cravings in a healthy way. 
    1. Distract yourself. Take a walk, listen to your favorite playlist, or call a friend. If that doesn't work and after 10 to 15 minutes your craving's still kicking, move on to step 2.
    2. Trick your brain. Try eating the lowest-fat, lowest-calorie variety of the item you're craving.  
    3. Feed the craving. If a low-fat treat doesn't do the trick, go out and get what you're craving. Just have a small amount of the real thing, such as a square of high-quality chocolate.

Weight Watchers offers a comprehensive approach to weight loss that can help you reach your goals. Learn more about Weight Watchers and how to join.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • AAshley Koff, RD, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered
    How can I reduce my sweets cravings?
    To reduce cravings for sweets, which happen when our blood sugar is low, you should deliver on it with quality carbs, plus some protein and good fat. In this video, I will share healthy tips for reducing a sweet craving. 
Is one night of overeating worse than overeating every day?