Question

Controlling Appetite

What can I do to reduce my cravings for sweets?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Craving Sweets

If you crave sugary foods, you have to retrain yourself to eat less sweets.

Watch the video to learn more from Dr. Oz about what you can do to reduce cravings for sweets.

Helpful? 5 people found this helpful.
  • ALisa Lillien, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered
    Lisa Lillien - What can I do to reduce my cravings for sweets?

If you've got a sweet tooth that just won't let up, you don't have to give in. In this video, Hungry Girl author Lisa Lillien reveals her secret weapon for killing sweet cravings instantly.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • ASarah LoBisco, Integrative Medicine, answered

Sugar cravings can be a signal that the body needs fuel....fast! Why?

Simple sugars are a quick source of energy. Still, overindulgence can cause some backlash symptoms such as anxiety, weight gain, and inflammation, when taken to the extreme.

Here are some tips to look for and perhaps with a practitioner if you need guidance with. These are some biochemical reasons for making one feel that their sweet tooth is controlling them!

• Make sure you are getting enough protein, healthy fats, and slow burning carbs at every meal. This will prevent blood sugar dips and help keep blood sugar stable, mitigating cravings. Some people need to eat smaller meals more frequently to balance blood sugar effectively.
    • Hormonal fluctuations can cause an imbalance in neurotransmitters which can cause sugar cravings. Labs run by doctor can help determine this.
    • Imbalanced digestion such as a lack of digestive enzymes of in the ratio of helpful bugs that reside in your colon which break down foods and help modulate many other processes in the body.
    • Nutrient deficiencies, such as magnesium, can cause cravings.
    • Not enough sleep, rest, or fun, can imbalance hormones and make one reach for sugar as a pick me up.
    • Emotional eating. This is more about re- patterning and working with a trusted support system.
    • Addictions. Only you know if you are a true sugar addict, in which case, sometimes cold turkey is the best option.
  • AMolly Morgan, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered

Sometime simple swaps will do the trick to curb a craving, check out some of my favorite simple swaps that I shared with Redbook Magazine: http://www.redbookmag.com/health-wellness/advice/junk-food-swaps-1?click=list#slide-1.

Also I must add that distracting yourself when a craving takes hold can be very effective like: taking a walk, calling a friend, playing with your kids, writing a letter or email to a friend!

• AWeight Watchers® answered
    Cravings are those intense desires to eat a particular food, strong enough that you may go out of your way to get it. Researchers know we have cravings, but they don't know exactly why. A craving can mean your diet is too restrictive, or you could be craving a food that you simply haven't eaten in a long time. Don't ignore your craving: If you feel deprived, you might give up and overindulge in the craved food. Here are three steps to help you manage your cravings in a healthy way. 
    1. Distract yourself. Take a walk, listen to your favorite playlist, or call a friend. If that doesn't work and after 10 to 15 minutes your craving's still kicking, move on to step 2.
    2. Trick your brain. Try eating the lowest-fat, lowest-calorie variety of the item you're craving.  
    3. Feed the craving. If a low-fat treat doesn't do the trick, go out and get what you're craving. Just have a small amount of the real thing, such as a square of high-quality chocolate.

Weight Watchers offers a comprehensive approach to weight loss that can help you reach your goals. Learn more about Weight Watchers and how to join.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
Is one night of overeating worse than overeating every day?