Question

Contraceptive

What should I do if I miss a dose of Junel?

• AStacy Wiegman, PharmD, Pharmacy, answered
    What you should do if you miss a dose of the birth control pill Junel (norethindrone and ethinyl estradiol) depends on how many pills you miss and when you miss them.
    • If you miss one light yellow or pink (active) pill during week one, two or three, take the missed pill as soon as you remember it, and take the next pill at the regular time. This may mean you take two pills in one day.
    • If you miss two light yellow or pink pills in a row during week one or two, take two pills the day you remember, then take two pills the next day. Use a backup birth control method such as condoms or spermicide for seven days. Continue to take one pill a day until you finish the pack.
    • If you miss two light yellow or pink pills in a row during week three, and you've been using a Sunday start date for your packs of Junel, take one pill a day through Saturday. On Sunday throw out the pack and start a new one. For seven days after you realize your mistake, use a backup birth control method, such as condoms or spermicide. If you've been using a day-one start date (meaning that you started your first pack of pills on the first day of your period), throw out the rest of the pack as soon as you realize your mistake and start a new one that same day. Use a backup birth control method for seven days.
    • If you miss three light yellow or pink pills in a row during week one, two or three, and you've been using a Sunday start date for your packs of Junel, take one pill a day through Saturday. On Sunday throw out the pack and start a new one. For seven days after you realize your mistake, use a backup birth control method, such as condoms or spermicide. If you've been using a day-one start date (meaning that you started your first pack of pills on the first day of your period), throw out the rest of the pack as soon as you realize your mistake and start a new one that same day. Use a backup birth control method for seven days.
    • If you are taking Junel Fe, which includes seven inactive brown pills for week four, and you miss any of the brown pills, throw away the pills you missed and continue taking one pill each day.
    If at any point you become confused about your pill schedule, reach out to your doctor or another healthcare professional. Until you hear from him or her, take one pill each day and use a backup method of birth control.
When should I call my doctor if I am taking Junel?