Question

Constipation

What causes pain on the left side of my stomach?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered

Most common diagnosis: Constipation 

If you’re feeling full and bloated with dull, uncomfortable pain that can be felt in the lower left part of your abdomen (2-5:00 area), you’re likely feeling constipated. Between the hours of 2 and 5:00 on the abdominal clock is the location of your descending colon, where the final leg of bowel movements takes place. At this point, stool can become hard and dry - getting stuck in the turns of the descending colon.

What you can do: Drink more and add fiber to your diet. Next, consider OTC osmotic laxatives or a laxative containing magnesium citrate and alumina-magnesium in its ingredients. The magnesium brings water into your colon, softening stool and encouraging its movement through the descending colon. Don’t be embarrassed to ask a pharmacist for help when selecting a laxative. If there’s still no change in your constipation, see your doctor. Chronic constipation can be a symptom of bowel obstruction, hormone imbalance or deception.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
    Helpful? 5 people found this helpful.
  • AChristine M. Bouchard, MD, Colorectal Surgery, answered on behalf of HCA Virginia
    What Causes Pain On The Left Side Of My Stomach?
    Gas or constipation can cause pain on the left side of your stomach. In this video, Christine Bouchard, MD, a colorectal surgeon at Chippenham & Johnston-Willis Hospitals, explains what other conditions can cause pain in this part of your abdomen.
Should I talk to my doctor about my constipation symptoms?