Question

Constipation

What causes pain on the left side of my stomach?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered

Most common diagnosis: Constipation 

If you’re feeling full and bloated with dull, uncomfortable pain that can be felt in the lower left part of your abdomen (2-5:00 area), you’re likely feeling constipated. Between the hours of 2 and 5:00 on the abdominal clock is the location of your descending colon, where the final leg of bowel movements takes place. At this point, stool can become hard and dry - getting stuck in the turns of the descending colon.

What you can do: Drink more and add fiber to your diet. Next, consider OTC osmotic laxatives or a laxative containing magnesium citrate and alumina-magnesium in its ingredients. The magnesium brings water into your colon, softening stool and encouraging its movement through the descending colon. Don’t be embarrassed to ask a pharmacist for help when selecting a laxative. If there’s still no change in your constipation, see your doctor. Chronic constipation can be a symptom of bowel obstruction, hormone imbalance or deception.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
    Helpful? 5 people found this helpful.
Should I talk to my doctor about my constipation symptoms?