Question

Warts

How can I tell if a skin bump is a wart?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    The only way to tell for sure if a skin bump is a wart is to ask your doctor. Warts are small skin growths caused by an infection with the human papilloma virus (HPV). There are different types of warts such as common warts, genital warts, plantar warts, periungual warts, and flat warts. Your doctor can examine the wart and recommend treatment measures, if any.

If the wart is on your fingers, hands, knees, or elbows, it may be a common skin wart, which can occur anywhere on the skin. Warts that occur under or around your fingernails or toenails are called periungual or subungual warts. If the wart is on the soles of your feet, it may be a plantar wart. Skin bumps on your face, hands, and lower legs could be a flat wart. Only your doctor can tell for sure, so be sure to get a medical opinion about any skin bump.
  • ALisa Broyles, MD, Obstetrics & Gynecology, answered on behalf of MDLIVE
    Common Wart

Warts can come in all shapes and sizes and can be anywhere.  They are usually flesh colored and raised, and rarely have any dark color to them.  They are most common on the hands and soles of the feet, also in children and athletes with close physical contact such as wrestlers.  Warts are generally harmless, although some people choose to have them removed for cosmetic reasons or due to pain.   In general skin bumps that are dark brown to black, irregularly shaped, bigger than the head of a pencil, and or growing quickly should be looked at by your doctor and are probably not warts. Common Wart
Can my child’s wart spread to other parts of her body?