There are a number of non-medication suggestions to alleviate the symptoms of colds and coughs in children.
- Encourage your child to drink a lot of fluids.
- Place a cool-mist humidifier in the room to increase air moisture.
- Use a bulb syringe to suck out any excess mucus (for children under 2 years old).
- Elevate your child's head in bed to improve nasal drainage.
- Use saline drops in the nose to loosen mucus.
- Use steam from a hot shower to help congestion.
- Give your child honey with tea (for children over age 1).