Question

Cold and Flu

Is there a natural way to prevent the flu?

• AStacy Wiegman, PharmD, Pharmacy, answered
    The best way to prevent the flu is to get vaccinated. In addition, there are some natural ways to help prevent the flu. These include:
    • washing your hands with soap and water, or using antibacterial cleanser, several times a day
    • keeping your hands away from your eyes, nose and mouth, where germs can get into your system
    • getting enough rest
    • staying active
  • ABurke Lennihan RN CCH, Alternative/complementary Medicine, answered

Influenzinum is probably the best natural flu preventive and can be obtained online, for example from Homeopathic Educational Services or Washington Homeopathics. 

Oscillococcinum (called “Oscillo”) for short) is also an excellent preventive. It’s widely available in drug stores as well as health food stores during flu season.

You can take occasional doses of either one throughout the flu season. If no one around you has the flu, monthly doses should be sufficient. If people in your general environment (office or school) have the flu, take a preventive dose weekly. And if you are in close contact with someone with the flu, take a preventive dose daily.

Both remedies can also be used to treat the flu, perhaps 3 doses a day (depending on the severity of the symptoms).

For more information about preventing and treating the flu with natural remedies, see my book, A Healer In Every Home.
  • ADavid L. Katz, MD,MPH, Integrative Medicine, answered
    Dr. David Katz - Is there a natural way to prevent the flu?

Preventive Medicine Specialist Dr. David Katz discusses some natural ways to prevent the flu. Watch Dr. Katz's video for information on preventive medicine and overall wellness.

How can I protect my family from the flu?