Going out to eat should not be an excuse for losing control of your eating plan. By thinking ahead and making smart choices, you can follow a heart healthy diet almost anywhere you go!
- Ask the server to make substitutions like having steamed vegetables instead of french fries.
- Use the basic guidelines of your healthy eating plan when choosing a main dish. Pick lean meat, fish or skinless chicken.
- Make sure your entrée is broiled, baked, grilled, steamed, or poached instead of fried.
- Order vegetable side dishes and ask that any sauces or butter be left off.
- Ask for low-calorie and salt-free or very low sodium salad dressing or a lemon to squeeze on your salad instead of dressing.
- Ask for baked, boiled, or roasted potatoes instead of fried. And ask for them without the butter and sour cream.
- Order fresh fruit or fruit sorbet in place of cake, pie, or ice cream desserts.
- Ask about low sodium and low-fat or fat-free choices.
- When it seems that everything on the menu is “off limits,” ask if the chef will make you a fruit or vegetable platter. Most chefs are happy to do it.