Question

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Treatment

Is there a cure for chronic fatigue syndrome?

• There is no known cure for chronic fatigue syndrome. Instead, your doctor will treat your symptoms to alleviate your pain and discomfort and help you regain your energy. A series of therapies, including medication and physical therapy will be developed to improve function. You also may be asked to make some lifestyle changes such as altering your sleep patterns, improving your eating habits, stretching and exercising or taking supplements to help treat sleep and pain.
  • ABurke Lennihan RN CCH, Alternative/complementary Medicine, answered

This is one of those chronic illnesses which has multiple causes and therefore it’s difficult to do research on a single treatment that can cure chronic fatigue.

However, there are many reported cases of people recovering from chronic fatigue with a variety of natural, holistic approaches. The types of recommendations are ones that would make you healthier overall anyway, so they are probably worth a try.

In my own practice of homeopathy, I have seen people recover from chronic fatigue. I’ve also known of people recovering from a naturopathic approach (one that includes diet and supplements and detoxification, supervised by a functional medicine doctor or a naturopathic doctor.)

This is not the type of thing you can cure on your own. I would recommend finding a functional medicine doctor (one that specializes in supplements and diet), a naturopathic doctor or a homeopath in your community.

If you want to get started on a good protocol while researching holistic health care practitioners, there is a very good book by Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum, From Fatigue to Fantastic.

• AJacob Teitelbaum, Integrative Medicine, answered

There is effective treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. Our published research has shown that 91% of patients can improve, with an average 90% increase in quality of life, by treating with the  “SHINE Protocol.” SHINE stands for Sleep, Hormonal support, Infections, Nutritional support, and Exercise as able. This requires a comprehensive approach. To find a physician who knows how to treat you, I recommend the Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Centers. 

• ARobin Miller, MD, Integrative Medicine, answered
    Unfortunately there is no cure for chronic fatigue syndrome. Since we do not know what causes chronic fatigue it is difficult to find a cure. Treatment revolves around alleviating pain, improving the quality of sleep, and cognitive behavioral therapy to help improve mood and deal with a chronic illness. Gentle exercise is also helpful for patients with chronic fatigue. Therefore, there are treatments to help treat the symptoms but there is no cure.

Are there alternative treatments for chronic fatigue syndrome?