Question

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Treatment

Are there alternative treatments for chronic fatigue syndrome?

• One suggestion for an alternative medication for chronic fatigue syndrome is supplements of D-ribose. D-ribose (also known as simply ribose) is a type of sugar that cells use to create energy. If cells are experiencing difficulties in metabolizing food to make energy, D-ribose can sharpen their functioning and reduce the effects of fatigue. Another alternative method of treatment consists of inserting small needles into pressure points in the body to stimulate energy flow, a process called acupuncture. If acupuncture is performed by a trained professional, it has been known to relieve pain associated with anxiety or muscle soreness in some people.

Other alternative treatments for chronic fatigue syndrome include daily activities that involve stretching to promote blood flow and deep breathing. Examples of these activities include: yoga, meditation, massage therapy, or even daily stretching.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • AJacob Teitelbaum, Integrative Medicine, answered

I find that people do best when treated with the mix of natural and prescription therapies, and both research and clinical experience supports this. Unfortunately most standard physicians are not familiar with the large body of research on natural therapies, and suffer from the misconception that it is not helpful. On the other hand, some alternative practitioners suffer from a similar misconception that all prescriptions are bad.

Overall, I find that natural remedies tend to be much safer and less expensive and often more effective than many prescriptions (though some medications can be very helpful).

How can medication treat chronic fatigue syndrome?