Question

Cholesterol

Will eating chocolate raise my cholesterol?

• AMarcus J. Cox, MD, Cardiology, answered on behalf of Greenville Health System
    Chocolate contains a chemical often referred to as flavonoids, which are the same chemicals found in red wine. This has been found to lower LDL cholesterol as well as to exert a protective effect against heart disease. Dark chocolate contains higher amounts of flavonoids and therefore may be more beneficial. As always, it is recommended to consume only in moderation.

The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
  • AEmilia Klapp, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered
    High-quality chocolate contains a large amount of cocoa butter, which does not contain cholesterol because it is extracted from the cacao bean. Cocoa butter contains three kinds of fatty acids: palmitic fat, a saturated fat in small amounts; stearic fat, a saturated fat that does not affect cholesterol levels; and oleic fat, a monounsaturated fat that can protect us from many ailments, including cardiovascular disease. If you eat quality chocolate -- not chocolate made with large amounts of sugar and hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils -- you actually can reap important health benefits, such as antioxidants. The maximum amount of chocolate recommended daily is about 50 g.
How can I lower my cholesterol without taking medicine?