Question

Children's Oral Health

What are the treatment options for teething?

• ADe Vizio, DMD, Dentist, answered on behalf of Colgate
    You may treat your child's pain during the teething process by giving them a hard rubber teething ring. Avoid teething rings that need to be frozen, as these may hurt your baby. Massaging the gums with your finger may help to reduce inflammation. Although there are pain relievers on the market designed to be applied to your baby's gums, many people find that they are not effective because they do not remain in the mouth long enough.
  • During teething, some babies may become fussy, sleepless and irritable, lose their appetite or drool more than usual. Other symptoms include sore or tender gums which you can treat by gently rubbing the gum with a clean finger, a small, cool spoon or a wet gauze pad. A clean teething ring may also help relieve symptoms. Talk to your physician for other recommendations.

• ATodd Welch, Periodontics, answered
    Eight Natural Teething Remedies to Help Your Teething Baby
    1. Teething biscuits: Many parents love using teething biscuits to calm their teething babies. Be sure to choose a teething biscuit that is healthy for your little one. When used in moderation, teething biscuits shouldn't adversely affect your little one's oral health.
    2. Frozen teething rings: Cold items such as teething rings can alleviate the pain that a teething baby experiences.
    3. Frozen carrots and bananas: Frozen bananas are a sweet treat that can ease your baby's sore gums. If your baby chews on a frozen carrot, only small bits of carrot come off at a time.  Some parents don't want to give their children frozen objects because they don't want to inadvertently freeze their baby's gums by giving them something so cold. If you want to play it safe, just go with a cold carrot. Important - Any time you give your baby something to eat, you must stay with them at all times to help prevent choking.
    4. A small, cold metal spoon: You can either keep some spoons in the refrigerator, or put a small metal spoon in a glass of ice water. Your teething baby can then hold the spoon and bite down on it to help soothe their irritated gums.
    5. A cold, damp washcloth: Some parents have found that their baby enjoys chewing on a frozen damp washcloth or a cold, wet washcloth.
    6. Dried fruit: Many parents advocate the use of dried apples to help ease teething troubles.  Any dried fruit that allows the child to chew can help alleviate teething problems. Keep in mind that you should use dried fruit in moderation, as it can cause tooth decay.
    7. Ice chips in a clean baby sock: Some parents have found that by putting small ice chips in a baby sock, and then tying off the sock, they can give their baby something cold without the risk of their baby's gums getting too cold.
    8. Gently rub your baby's gums with your finger: I've tried this with my children and it seemed to help them, although my daughter has bit me before! It didn't hurt too much however due to the lack of teeth. Holding your baby and massaging their gums with your finger can also provide comfort to your teething baby during this hard time.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
What are the symptoms of teething?