Question

Cataracts

Can I have LASIK surgery after having cataract surgery in both eyes?

• AWayne Bizer, Ophthalmology, answered on behalf of American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmart
    LASIK surgery can be performed three to six months after cataract surgery, if necessary. However, modern cataract surgery can go a long way to reducing a person's need for glasses. In fact, depending on the intraocular lens that you choose to have implanted in your eye during cataract surgery, you might reduce your need for glasses. Some people never need glasses again after cataract surgery. Ask your ophthalmologist (eye doctor) to explain your intraocular lens options and to discuss the presbyopia-correcting implants with you.
Can I get another cataract in the same eye after I had one removed?