Caregiving is rewarding, fulfilling, gratifying and can be overwhelming and stressful especially for the sandwich generation families. Below are some tips that can help alleviate caregiving burden:
- Ask for help and self-care is imperative.
- For women, who are 65% caregivers, they want to do it all and feel guilty when they can't do it all.
- Get exercise — make it a priority for both your mental and physical well being.
- Get regular check-ups and do not ignore possible symptoms of ill health.
- Take a break from caregiving – involve grown kids, siblings, church and neighbors
- Stay involved in hobbies and laugh with a friend, join a caregivers support group