Question

Carbohydrates

How can I reduce my carb cravings?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Carb detox

Carb "detox" can make you irritable and only work temporarily for weight loss. In this video, Dr. Oz and Dr. Dow discuss what foods to add to your diet to lessen your carb cravings.

Helpful? 17 people found this helpful.
  • AXimena Jimenez, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics

These are some helpful strategies to reduce your carb cravings:

• Start your day with a balanced breakfast. Skipping this important meal may lead you to crave carbs later in the day
    • Don't skip any meals. This will keep you blood sugar and other hormones in balance
    • Out of sight, out of mouth. Instead of keeping sugary foods around the house, maintain healthy satisfying foods around the house: grapes, home-made popcorn or almonds
    • Pay more attention to your serving sizes. In case of a specific craving, you can eat one cookie but not 10
    • Don't deny yourself favorite foods. This will lead to obsessing over food and the idea is to enjoy all foods in moderation
How do malabsorbed carbohydrates affect bowel movements?