Question

Cancer Treatment

What is an implanted port for cancer treatment?

• An implanted port for cancer treatment is a small device placed under the patient's skin and connected to one of the large veins in the chest. It is placed for easy intravenous (IV) access for IV fluids, chemotherapy or any other medications. It can also be used for drawing blood, both reducing the amount of needle sticks you receive and allowing several drugs to be given simultaneously. There are several different kinds of ports; use depends on the length and type of treatment you require.
  • AAurora Health Care answered
    An implanted port is small device that is inserted through the chest into a large blood vessel near the heart. The port and catheter are entirely under the skin. After the original incision has healed, there should be only a small bump present. By inserting a special needle through the skin into the port, IV fluids can be given or blood samples can be withdrawn.
How should I handle problems with my central venous catheter?