Question

Bruises

What can I do to help a bruise heal faster?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Home Remedies for Bruises
    Applying ice or a cold pack after the injury can help to enhance bruise healing. Watch as Dr. Oz talks about first aid for bruises.

• ABurke Lennihan RN CCH, Alternative/complementary Medicine, answered

Sinecch is a natural product that was shown in two research studies to reduce swelling, bruising and post-op pain after facelifts and liposuction. Sinecch is based on Arnica, a well-known natural remedy for bruising, but it uses a much higher dose of Arnica than is commonly available in health food stores. Sinecch is easily available online, and the research studies are described on the website alpinepharm.com.

My clients have reported good results from simple Arnica 30c, available from any health food store, although it has not been researched as Sinecch has.

The recommended dosage for either product is one dose before the surgery, one afterwards, one before bed that night, then three times a day until the bruising resolves.

For more information about bruising, kindly see the Bumps and Bruises chapter in my book, A Healer In Every Home.

• AAaron Nelson , NASM Elite Trainer, Sports Medicine, answered
    The best treatment for a bruised heal is ice and rest. Over-the-counter (OTC) medications can be used to treat the pain and inflammation. You can also use heal cups in your shoes to help protect and cushion the bruise while it heals. Heal cups can be found in different styles and sizes at most stores that have a medicine and bracing section.
What can a doctor do for a bruise?