- Rest a bruise to allow blood to clot more rapidly.
- Elevate the bruised area to keep the swelling down.
- Apply ice or a cold pack to the bruised area for 10 minutes with moderate pressure. Use every 3 to 4 hours for 2 to 3 days. (A bag of frozen peas or corn works well for this and can be reused as an ice pack. Be sure to label the package, so you don't eat the vegetables later.) The cold will reduce swelling and ease the pain.
- Avoid applying any heat to a bruised area.
- Avoid vigorous exercise for 24 to 48 hours if a bruise is severe.
A Answers (1)
RealAge answeredMost bruises can be cared for at home. Although painful and sometimes unsightly, they are generally not a serious injury. These are the things that you can do at home for a bruise: