Question

Breathing Disorders Signs & Symptoms

How can I tell if my baby is having trouble breathing?

• ADale Valentine, MD, Pediatrics, answered on behalf of Intermountain Healthcare
    Look for rapid breathing or labored breathing.  These are two of the most important signs. Babies should not be breathing faster than 60 breaths per minute. Labored breathing means that you can see the child working hard to breath. This give the appearance that the skin between the ribs and in the neck is being sucked in with every breath. Fussiness can also be a sign of trouble breathing. If a baby had a bluish color this would be a definite emergency.
  • ACraig T. Nakamura, MD, Pediatric Pulmonology, answered on behalf of Sunrise Children's Hospital
    How Can Parents Tell if Their Baby Has a Breathing Problem?
    Parents can check for breathing problems such as their baby using extra effort like grunting, says Craig Nakamura, MD, a pediatric pulmonologist at Sunrise Hospital. In this video, he describes breathing symptoms that parents might notice.
  • ATanya Remer Altmann, MD, Pediatrics, answered
    While most of the time nasal congestion is responsible for making a baby’s breathing noisy, it is important to recognize signs of true troubled breathing that should be evaluated. A newborn normally breathes 30 to 60 times a minute (one breath every 1 to 2 seconds)--much faster than an older child or adult. If you feel like your baby is taking more than one breath per second, take a close look. Can you see her tummy or the space between the ribs moving in and out with each breath? Do you hear wheezing (a high-pitched
    whistle) or other extra noises with each breath? Is your baby’s head bobbing as she breathes? Is she coughing? Is her nose flaring with each breath? Does her skin look blue?

If the answer to any of these questions is “yes” or you simply can’t tell the difference, call your pediatrician right away.
Should I talk to my doctor about breathing disorder symptoms?