Question

Breastfeeding A Baby

Can I breastfeed if I am a vegetarian?

• ANilima Desai, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered

Yes, absolutely! Breastfeeding is considered the Gold standard of nourishment for your baby. Make sure you are consuming adequate calories. The recommended caloric intake is 500 calories above your usual intake. Being a vegetarian you will also need to make sure you diet is rich in calcium, Vitamin D, iron, zinc, Vitamin B-12, and protein. 

• AVandana R. Sheth, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics

Absolutely, breastfeeding is a very special experience and one which provides your baby with the best source of nutrition.  However, if you are vegetarian do ensure that your diet is well-balanced, varied and adequate in calories, protein and nutrients in the right amounts to meet both your needs for lactation.  Consider seeing a registered dietitian specializing in vegetarian nutrition to assess your individual needs and guide you through this process. 

• As long as your diet is well-balanced and not restrictive, your breast milk will provide your baby with the necessary nutrients. However, many vegetarians have difficulty getting enough protein, calcium, vitamin D, and vitamin B-12, so take special care to incorporate foods with these nutrients into your diet. Good sources of vitamin B-12 that are not animal products include yeast, soymilk, cereal, and other soy products that are fortified with this vitamin.
How many calories do I need daily if I am breastfeeding?