Question

Breast Reduction

How long does it take to heal from breast reduction surgery?

• AStuart Linder, MD, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, answered

Healing from breast reduction surgery varies from patient to patient. In general, the larger the breast reduction, the longer the healing process may take. In general, it is approximately 6-8 weeks postsurgical for the majority of healing to occur and swelling to be reduced. Sutures are usually placed and remain in place for approximately 2-3 weeks. There is a tremendous amount of tension on the flaps after a breast reduction surgery and therefore sutures are not removed early to prevent dehiscence of the wounds. The majority of our patients are able to return to exercise after 6 weeks and approximately 75% of the swelling is reduced, sutures have been removed and the patient can then be placed into a normal underwire brassiere.

• ATara Whitworth, MSN, Nursing, answered
    Breast reduction surgery requires an incision around the nipple, down the middle of the breast, and in the crease underneath the breast. In some cases, the entire nipple must be removed and sewn back in place after the desired amount of breast tissue is removed. Wound healing issues are the most common complication of breast reduction surgery, so it is important to keep your follow up appointments. For most women, the recovery time is at least 6-8 weeks.
Do I need breast implants if I undergo surgery to reduce their size?