Question

Breast Cancer

What kind of cancer does E!’s Giuliana Rancic have?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered

Giuliana Rancic, a host of television’s E! News, was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. According to Rancic, her cancer was caught at an early stage. She underwent a lumpectomy -- which removes just the tumor, leaving the breast tissue intact -- and will undergo six weeks of radiation.

Rancic, who is 37, has no family history of breast cancer and was considered at average risk for the disease. Her cancer was detected by a mammogram, which was recommended by the doctor overseeing her in vitro fertilization (IVF) treatments.

Most women diagnosed with breast cancer have no family history or other factors that would indicate the need for an early mammogram. That’s why I believe that breast self-exams are critical.

• APenn Medicine answered

In 2011, Giuliana Rancic, reporter for E! revealed she had breast cancer. Rancic and her husband had been trying to have a baby through in vitro fertilization (IVF) treatments. Before her third treatment attempt, her doctor told her she should have a mammogram. It was then her breast cancer was discovered.

• AAjay Sahajpal, Oncology, answered on behalf of Aurora Health Care
    She likely has DCIS or Ductal Carcinoma Insitu that was found on a mammogram. It often presents as microcalcifications on a mammogram and triggers further testing.
How do I know if my DCIS breast cancer will become invasive?