Question

Breast Cancer Diagnosis

What is BART testing for breast cancer?

• The BRAC Analysis Rearrangement Test (BART) is an additional level of analysis, which goes beyond DNA sequences of genes. BART looks for large rearrangements, deletions, and insertions of DNA material. A positive BART result has the same medical implications as a mutation found with more routine types of analysis. Anyone who has had comprehensive BRCA1/2 testing could go on for BART analysis. It is a matter of yield (chances of finding a mutation), and cost. For high-risk families (multiple cases of breast cancer; early-onset usually; often ovarian cancer in the family), the yield is 1-3%. The cost is $650.
If I have a family history of breast cancer, how should I be screened?