But if you're as wilted-looking as Napoleon Dynamite, you're setting yourself up for weak muscles, arthritis, back pain, fatigue, headaches, and even a potbelly. Luckily, you can roll back your body's "real age" if you trade in your slouch 'n' pouch for the virtues of vertical. Here’s what we recommend:
- Hold your head up straight. Don't jut out your chin.
- Keep your shoulders down and shoulder blades back.
- Stretch the top of your head toward the ceiling. Tuck your stomach in.
- When standing, keep your weight centered. Put your hands on your hips. Don't slight your hip bones or pelvis forward or backward.
- When seated, no twisting, leg crossing, or foot swinging. Plant your feet on the floor, knees bent at a right angle and even with or slightly higher than your hips. There's no need for a board down your back -- let your lower back curve naturally. Just don't collapse on one hip.