Question

Healthy Bones, Joints & Muscles

How can I make my bones stronger?

• AVonda Wright, MD, Orthopedic Surgery, answered
    For the strongest bones, you need to "bash" them. By this I mean stress them with impact exercise, such as walking, running, jumping, etc. In addition, bones also stay stronger when they are surrounded by powerful muscles to dampen the load and move them through a range of motions.

Bones are dynamic and growing I-beams that not only keep us upright but serve as the major metabolic storehouse of our bodies. Therefore we must feed them. By now you know your bones need calcium to maintain strength and Vitamin D to absorb the calcium from your gut, but your bones need more than that.
  • AJill Grimes, MD, Family Medicine, answered
    You can strengthen your bones by getting enough calcium in your diet (especially when you are young), enjoying weight-bearing exercise like walking and jogging, limiting your caffeine, and getting your sunshine vitamin (D). Also  make sure your thyroid medication is not over-replaced.
  • AToby Smithson, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics

Consuming enough calcium and vitamin D each day and combining it with weight bearing and resistance exercise are keys to building stronger bone. Calcium and vitamin D requirements are based on age and gender. For adults it is between 1000 milligrams to 1200 milligrams per day. As a reference an eight ounce glass of milk contains 300 milligrams of calcium. Weight bearing and resistance training exercise include walking, running, lifting weights or using a stretch band, or carrying bags of groceries.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
What is a full-length shoe wedge compared to a heel wedge?