Question

Bone & Joint Injuries

What is the treatment for a swollen ankle?

• Swelling by itself is not something to be too worried about. Swelling is one way the body tells you that something has been injured or damaged. Swelling can be a good thing if it is closely paid attention to. The fluid contains different chemicals and nutrients that will help the damaged tissue to begin healing.

Although swelling is good for healing, it can be bad if there is too much. Too much swelling could cause you to be unable to move your ankle, or limit the amount of strength you have in the ankle. It is important to make sure that you limit the amount of swelling by keeping your foot elevated and using a cold compress. By elevating your foot, you can use gravity to your advantage and move the swelling out of your ankle. This allows the swelling to perform its beneficial function, but also keeps it from causing any further problems. (This answer provided for NATA by the Eastern University Athletic Training Education Program)
How long should I apply ice to my injured wrist?