Question

Blepharoplasty Or Eyelid Surgery

What should I know if I'm considering blepharoplasty?

• AMichael Roizen, MD, Internal Medicine, answered
    The eyes are the first part of the face that hints at aging because extra skin on the upper lids can accompany those little crinkles in your lower eyelids, giving you the "always tired" look. And, like a hernia, fat of the lids pushes through your weakened skin. So there's good reason why 241,000 people had blepharoplasties this past year. Plastic surgeons remove not only skin and fat but also suspend the lower lid to its more youthful position. And now, through the same upper eyelid incision, the brow can be tacked into a higher position, as well.

Be careful about overdoing your eyelids. Some people think they want every speck of extra skin removed, but it can't be put back if too much is taken, so a little should be left behind to be on the safe side. And leaving a little skin will make you look more natural. Most "blephs" are done with you awake but groggy. Afterward, you'll look like you went three rounds with Ali. It takes nearly two weeks to look good again, but your eyes should sparkle.

If you have dry eyes or very loose lower lids, you're at high risk for the complication called an "ectropion" if you have your lids lifted, leaving you resembling a basset hound. To avoid this complication, your lower lids might need a tightening procedure called a canthopexy (no clever marketing surgeon has come up with a catchy name for this one) along with skin and fat removal. Don't let the 1-in-10,000 chance of blindness from this surgery scare you away; a good surgeon who also properly evaluates your medical issues should be able steer you clear of problems.
  • AJeremy Warner, MD, Plastic/reconstructive Surgery, answered on behalf of NorthShore University HealthSystem
    Jeremy Warner, MD - What should I know if I am considering a blepharoplasty?

Before receiving blepharoplasty consider nonsurgical options and surgical options. Within surgical options you and your doctor will need to discuss the eyebrow position well as the eyelid. Learn more from Dr. Jeremy Warner from NorthShore University HealthSystem about blepharoplasty.

• AStuart Linder, MD, Plastic/reconstructive Surgery, answered
    Blepharoplasty is useful for excess skin laxity of the upper and lower eyelids. It may also address the underlying fat pads. Conservative skin removal is absolutely essential for both eyelid surgeries. Aggressive upper eyelid skin removal may results in lagopthalmos with an inability to close the eye leading to severe schleral ulcerations. Taking to much skin from the lower eyelid may lead to ectropian (increase schleral show) and horizontal skin laxity problems. Only board certified surgeons should perform these procedures.
  • ATara Whitworth, MSN, Nursing, answered
    If your upper eyelids droop excessively or you have large bags under your eyes, you may be a candidate for blepharoplasty. Blepharoplasty is a procedure that removes the excess skin from your eyelids, which improves your appearance. This procedure is especially helpful if your upper eyelids droop to the point of interfering with your vision.

Blepharoplasty may be done under general anesthesia or sedation. You should expect to see bruising after this type of surgery. There will be scars, but they usually heal well and are not noticeable.

How is transconjunctival blepharoplasty performed?