Question

Birth Control Pill

Are birth control pills the same as hormone replacement therapy?

• ASCAI answered

Both birth control pills and hormone replacement therapy often consist of a combination of the hormones estrogen and progesterone. You may, therefore, wonder if the two treatments affect the body in the same way. The simple answer is “no,” but the more complicated answer is that researchers are not yet entirely sure.

A number of factors vary between the two types of treatment. Birth control pills are administered at a high enough dosage to prevent ovulation and pregnancy. Hormone replacement therapy strives to return postmenopausal women’s hormone levels to what they were before menopause. The hormone formulation and dosage in each treatment can vary.

Studies suggest that hormone replacement therapy with both estrogen and progesterone may increase a woman’s risk for breast cancer, heart attack and stroke, while estrogen-only therapies may have no affect on heart health but can increase stroke risk. Women who take birth control pills are at a greater risk of blood clots, which can cause heart attack and stroke, but no link has been proven to breast cancer. The risk of blood clots and heart attack with birth control pills is higher in women over 35 and in those who also smoke.

If you are a woman who is considering either treatment, discuss your risk factors, including family history, age and known medical conditions, as well as the possible benefits and drawbacks with your healthcare provider.
  • AMarcy Holmes, MSN, Nursing, answered

Birth Control Pills are synthetic hormones, and are actually much more potent compared to what is used in Hormone replacement therapy. This is necessary so they provide contraceptive effect, while HRT does not prevent ovulation or pregnancy. 

Many women in their 40's use low dose birth control pills for inexpensive option to control perimenopausal symptoms and regulate cycles, and this is actually a form of rather high potency HRT in my opinion- which may not be necessary! 

If there is no need for contraception, I would rather suggest women in their 40's consider nutritional and herbal remedies as their first approach to manage symptoms. Then if needed, low dose natural hormone therapy may be all that is required, rather than the potency of the synthetic Birth control pill.

We use full range of nutritional support and herbal options at our Women To Women Health Care center clinic. Our Website also offers exceptional comprehensive programs for Hormone Imbalance and more at womentowomen.com

If wish to read my full article on The Pill in Perimenopause, look further here;

http://www.womentowomen.com/menopause/bcpperimenopause.aspx

How do birth control pills affect menstruation?