After a bone marrow biopsy (a procedure that uses a special needle to get a sample of bone and bone marrow for testing):
- If you were given sedation medication, you should not drive, operate heavy or potentially harmful equipment, make important legal decisions, or drink alcohol for 24 hours.
- You should avoid heavy lifting or straining for 48 hours.
- Leave the bandage on until the next morning or longer, as instructed by your doctor.
- You should change your Band-Aid daily until your site is completely healed (clean and dry).
- If you have Steri-Strips (long, skinny bandage) over your biopsy site, do not remove them. Let them fall off on their own.
- You may take a shower the day after your biopsy if the bandage is clean and dry.
- You may take a bath starting 48 hours after your biopsy.
- The results of your biopsy may take 10 to 14 days and will be discussed at your next doctor's visit.