Question

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV)

How do I manage my benign paroxysmal positional vertigo on a daily basis?

• Vertigo and other symptoms caused by benign paroxysmal positional vertigo can be uncomfortable. You many even feel frightened by the sensation of spinning. To help you manage your symptoms and feeling about BPPV, it's a good idea to understand what motions or activities often trigger your vertigo. Sudden head movements or sitting or standing quickly can often lead to vertigo. To prevent losing your balance during these times, use a walking stick or cane to counter any imbalance you may feel. In addition sit or lie down when you become lightheaded or dizzy. Finally, talk to your doctor about treating your vertigo using head movements called canalith repositioning procedures. You can often perform these head positions at home immediately after your vertigo has subsided.

• AHealthwise answered

You can reduce the whirling or spinning sensation of vertigo when you have benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) by taking these steps:

• Use two or more pillows at night.
    • Avoid sleeping on your side with the ear that's causing the problem facing down.
    • Get up slowly in the morning and sit on the edge of the bed for a moment before standing.
    • Avoid leaning over to pick things up or tipping your head far back to look up.
    • Be careful about reclining, such as when you are in the dentist's chair or having your hair washed at a hair salon.
    • Be careful about playing sports that require you to turn your head, lean over or lie flat on your back.

You can also help yourself by doing balance exercises and taking safety precautions.

• Brandt-Daroff exercises can be done at home to help your brain get used to the abnormal balance signals triggered by the particles in the inner ear.
    • Balance exercises for vertigo, such as standing with your feet together, arms down and slowly moving your head from side to side, may help you keep your balance and improve symptoms of vertigo.
    • Stay safe when you have balance problems by adding grab bars near the bathtub and toilet and keeping walking paths clear. This may prevent accidents and injuries.

Staying as active as possible usually helps the brain adjust more quickly. But that can be hard to do when moving is what causes your vertigo. Bed rest may help, but it usually increases the time it takes for the brain to adjust.

© Healthwise, Incorporated.