Question

Benefits of Walking

How much walking do I have to do to make my heart stronger?

• AEmily Adams , NASM Elite Trainer, Fitness, answered
    It is recommended that you get about 30 minutes of exercise a day. This keeps the heart healthy. As well, there is such a thing as heart rate training zones. I would recommend if you are just starting out a walking program to walk about 65%-75% of your max heart rate (220-age) and work on maintaining that heart rate for the 30 minutes. Do this for about 3-4 weeks daily, and then you can begin a zone training. Which I would be happy to assist you with then.
  • AJonathan Penney, Fitness, answered on behalf of National Academy of Sports Medicine

Your best recommendation will be to complete up to 30-minutes of moderate to intense exercise most days of the week. Completing this will make your heart strong. The more active you are the stronger your heart will be as it will constantly be working. Your heart is built to work and is strong to begin with. The more exercise you complete and the strong it will be!

• ARoy Miner , NASM Elite Trainer, Fitness, answered
    It is really not a matter of how much walking that you need to do to strengthen your heart. Doing any kind of physical activity on a regular basis should make your heart stronger. The point is to do any physical activity that will raise your heart rate. Walking on a regular basis is a great activity to help strengthen your heart. And it is an activity that most all of us can do. Always check with your Doctor first before starting any kind of physical activity. But I recommend that you start off by setting a goal. No matter how small it may be. Whether it is walking around your house or walking around the block, just do it everyday. But the important thing is to continue to reach that goal on a regular basis until you feel comfortable at that distance. Then challenge yourself by increasing the goal distance. Remember, your ultimate goal is to strengthen your heart. So make sure that you increase your pace along with the distance. The increased pace and distance will increase your heart rate and ultimately strengthen your heart. Continuing this walking plan and doing it on a schedule will help to increase your fitness level and your overall health.
How can walking help me manage my stress levels?