Question

Belly Fat

What foods can I eat to get rid of belly fat?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    More than half of all American women struggle with extra belly fat. One reason why it’s tough to burn fat around your middle is because of stress. Fight-or-flight hormones send the body a message telling it to hold onto excess padding. To burn excess belly fat in just seven days, try:
    • 1,000mg GLA (gamma-linolenic acid) before every meal
    • 1 cup of beans at every meal
    For one week, take 1,000 mg of the supplement GLA (gamma-linolenic acid), an omega-6 fatty acid that sends calming chemicals to the body’s fat cells, signaling them to give up some of their fat stores.

Also add 1 cup of beans to every meal. Beans are loaded with soluble fiber, which promotes good bacteria in the gut, thus lowering inflammation linked to belly fat. Try adding beans to your diet, three times a day for seven days. Here are some suggestions:
    • Breakfast: Eat 1 cup of chickpeas
    • Lunch: Mix 1 cup of black beans into a healthy frozen meal
    • Dinner: Add 1 cup of navy or other beans as a side dish
    Helpful? 25 people found this helpful.
  • ARuth Frechman, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
    There are no foods to help you lose belly fat. Just keep losing weight and do core exercises to tighten the area. Of course, it's very important to eat nutritious foods to stay healthy.
    Helpful? 3 people found this helpful.
  • AMark Liponis, MD, Internal Medicine, answered
    Dr. Mark Liponis - What foods can help me lose belly fat?
    One way to lose belly fat is to eat like a hunter, says integrative medicine specialist Dr. Mark Liponis. Watch the video to learn what foods to eat -- and to avoid -- if you want to take this novel approach to trimming your middle. 
    Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
  • APaula Greer, Midwifery Nursing, answered
    Increase the fiber and whole grains in your diet; include omega 3 fatty acids, green tea, and alcohol in moderation, turmeric, jojoba beans, seeds, and coffee.

During my weight loss journey one of the most valuable lessons I learned was how some of the foods we eat actually make us fat while others actually help our metabolism and decrease inflammation.

There are five food felons that I learned to avoid and it was actually avoiding foods more than eating certain ones that helped me lose not just general fat but the fat around my middle known as the omentum or the dangerous belly fat.

The five food felons can be found by learning to look at the nutritional information on the packet as well as the ingredient list. I avoid all foods that contain the dangerous five outlined by the YOUdocs in their book YOU ON A DIET. Part of my mission as their YOUnurse has been to educate everyone to learn to read labels and avoid the following foods:
    • enriched, bleached or processed flours
    • simple sugars
    • high fructose corn syrup or any syrups
    • saturated fats (found in animal fats and palm and coconut oils)
    • trans fat ( partially hydrogenated vegetable oils)
    Learning to replace these foods with natural sugars like honey, agave or pure maple syrup was the next step. Reducing my animal fat by eating white meats like chicken or fish and eating more plant-based meals instead of meat also helped me to start losing the belly fat. Switching to whole grains, brown rice and avoiding the processed foods and food additives was also key to my success.

If, you are trying to lose your spare tire or that dangerous belly fat, start first by reading food labels. Become aware of which foods trigger the hormones that lead to belly fat and which foods like the whole grains, high fiber foods and healthy fats actually help reduce inflammation and you to lose that spare tire forever. Start dumping your fridge and cupboards of all those foods that have the five food felons. My husband thinks the worst and the one that made the most difference in our lives was the high fructose corn syrup which is in diet salad dressings, breads, cereals snacks and so many of the daily food items that you may need to slowly replace your cupboards and give the bad stuff away.

You can never go wrong with stocking foods like legumes, brown rice, wheat pastas, beans etc. They will stretch your food dollar and be healthy too!
    Helpful? 7 people found this helpful.
  • While there are no foods that really target belly fat (although there are plenty of opinions and theory!) following a healthy, whole foods based approach to eating helps maintain a trim mid-section. Labeled as "clean eating" or as I call it "lean eating," this nutritional intake consists of eating a variety of fruits and fresh vegetables, along with lean proteins, whole grains, and healthy fats. In order to avoid storing excess fat in the abdominals, stay away from processed foods and fake sugars (Splenda, Sweet 'n Low, aspartame, saccharine, etc). These things lead to the body storing more belly fat which is unhealthy for your overall health and quality of life.

Go for unprocessed foods that are in season (which means they'll be cheaper at the store) and eat every 3-4 hours to keep the metabolism running high.

For a complete example of a lean eating meal plan check out www.michellecfitness.com.
    Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
  • The most effective foods for losing weight (including belly fat) are healthy fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and whole grains. These foods provide essential vitamins, minerals, satiety (feeling of fullness) and are low-calorie.

Genetics dictates where your body burns fat. For example, you may desire to lose weight in your abdomen, but very often, the place you most want to lose it is the last place it burns. This is known as spot reducing and it doesn’t work. You cannot burn fat in one particular area on your body. While it's true that you can build muscle in different locations of your body such as your legs and buttocks based on what strength-training exercises you do, there's no way to "spot reduce" fat. But by keeping a consistent healthy-diet and regular exercise plan eventually you will achieve a flat midsection.

Helpful? 20 people found this helpful.
  • AWeight Watchers® answered

Your belly fat will disappear as you reduce calories and exercise on an overall weight-loss plan. You cannot reduce fat in a particular spot, although you can spot strengthen.

Body fat is systemic. As you lose weight, fat cells throughout your body give up fat and you get smaller all over, including your belly.

You can tone the underlying muscles of your belly and strengthen your core with abdominal exercises such as crunches. As you lose weight, you'll be able to see the work you've done.

Weight Watchers offers a comprehensive approach to weight loss that can help you reach your goals. Learn more about Weight Watchers and how to join.

Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
  • ARealAge answered
    Studies have shown that people who eat six small meals a day have smaller waists than people who eat two or three large meals a day. Of course, "small" is the key. To nix belly fat for good, don't sustain it with sugar, syrups, and saturated and trans fats. Instead, sustain the rest of you with whole grains, lean proteins, fiber, exercise, and stress control. Your waist's loss is your life's gain.  
    Helpful? 3 people found this helpful.
What is the relationship between belly fat and dementia?