Question

Atrial Fibrillation Symptoms

Are heart palpitations a sign of atrial fibrillation?

• AMichael Roizen, MD, Internal Medicine, answered

You don’t necessarily have atrial fibrillation (AF) just because you feel a fluttering in your chest now and then. Panic attacks, cute crushes walking by, even a meeting with your boss can cause ’em.

However, palpitations (which is just a fancy word for the feeling that your heart is racing, pounding, or beating irregularly or like crazy) are one of the classic symptoms of atrial fibrillation. Others include chest pain, weakness, lightheadedness, and shortness of breath. And yes, a prior history and/or a history of disease of one of the valves of your heart is a predisposition to AF as well.

• If you have atrial fibrillation, you may experience heart palpitations. Heart palpitations are an uncomfortable but common occurrence. Most of the time, heart palpitations are not serious. However, if you have an arrhythmia such as atrial fibrillation, you need to see a doctor to get a medical evaluation. With palpitations, you feel like your heart is fluttering, pounding, or racing inside your chest. You might think your heart is adding extra beats or even skipping beats. If you have a rapid heart rate (100 beats a minute or higher), it is referred to as tachycardia. If you have a slow heart rate (less than 60 beats a minute), it's called bradycardia. In addition, if you have heart valve problems, low potassium, or heart disease, or if you have a high risk for heart disease, call your doctor immediately if you have heart palpitations.

The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

• ADouglas Severance, MD, Family Medicine, answered
    Heart palpitations may or may not be a sign of atrial fibrillation. A palpitation is a feeling that your heart is beating too fast, too hard, or skipping beats. Sometimes it can be a fluttering feeling in your chest. Heart palpitations can happen at any time of the day or night, even when you are asleep. Sometimes they are symptoms of an arrhythmia -- an abnormal heart rhythm -- such as the rapid and irregular heartbeat of atrial fibrillation. Arrhythmias can also be serious warning signs of a heart attack or heart valve problems. But most of the time, heart palpitations are harmless and may result from any number of causes, such as: too much stress; too much caffeine, alcohol, or nicotine (from cigarette smoking); illegal drugs; diet pills; and medications for allergies and sinusitis.
Should I talk to my doctor about my atrial fibrillation symptoms?