Question

Artificial Sweeteners

How can artificial sweeteners make me gain weight?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Many people use artificial sweeteners to cut their caloric intake, but the very opposite effect can occur. New research shows that artificial sweeteners stimulate taste receptors that sense sweetness in both the esophagus and stomach. Anticipating energy, the pancreas releases insulin, an important hormone for accumulating body fat. At the same time, chemicals are sent to the brain’s satiety center, which becomes confused as to whether or not the body is actually receiving calories. The result? You feel even hungrier and less full, which can lead to weight gain.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • ARamani Durvasula, PhD, Psychology, answered
    Linda Bartoshuk, a psychologist and professor at the University of Florida who studies taste and obesity and Susan Swithers and Terry Davidson, psychologists at Purdue, have talked about the link between taste and weight. Swithers and Davidson have conducted animal studies on artificial sweeteners and guess what. That saccharine trickery may not be working. They postulate that when we drink diet sodas, our brain gets the signal of “sweet” but our bodies don’t get the glucose. They believe that the brain uses taste as an index of the calories to come, which we then need to burn. When the actual calories don’t follow the taste, what may happen is eating more or burning less energy.

In their studies, the rats that ate saccharine-sweetened food gained more weight. When our brains get the sweet signal it maintains our sugar cravings and throws off our brain and body’s ability to manage our energy demands. Artificial sweeteners are like methadone is to heroin -- meant to get us off of sugar without the caloric effects -- but the original problem of craving “sweet” remains and we continue to struggle with the craving. Watch your patterns with artificial sweeteners and see if you kick it up at certain times, because it may be setting you up for even bigger sugar transgressions at other times in the day and for weight gain down the road.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • ASarah LoBisco, Integrative Medicine, answered
    Artificial sweeteners have hit the weight loss industry by storm. These "calorie free" sweeteners are portrayed as substitutes for sugar with the same sweetness (or more), translating to fewer bulges of the body. However, studies aren't showing this connection.

Not only can excessive use actually cause damage to the nervous system, they can also cause weight gain by tricking the satiety signals in your digestive tract. These sweeteners can be addictive and actually make you hungrier, so you end up eating more food. (So much for "calorie free!")

You can read more on the studies and summaries of various sweeteners and my recommendations on my website.
  • AMarjorie Nolan Cohn, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics

Artificial sweeteners do not have calories, but they do give big taste to food. Problem is that even though you aren’t eating more calories, your taste buds are registering that you are. When you eat something flavorful your digestive track starts to register the need to digest. When a significant source of food is then not delivered to your stomach and intestine, it can actually make you hungrier. This is because there are digestive juices being secreted without food to actually digest.

• ARovenia Brock, PhD, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered
    Dr. Rovenia Brock - How can artificial sweeteners make me gain weight?
    Watch as nutritionist Dr. Rovenia Brock explains how using artificial sweeteners can actually lead to weight gain.
Which artificial sweeteners are approved by the FDA?