This description is for a one-arm, bentover dumbbell row. All that is required is one dumbbell of relatively light to moderate weight. To make this exercise easier, place the non-rowing hand on a bench or chair for support.
1. Stand with your feet pointed straight ahead and draw in your navel.
2. Bend at your waist until your chest is at a 45 degree angle to the ground.
3. Extend one arm and let it hang in front of your body with a dumbbell.
4. Row the dumbbell, bringing your thumb up toward your armpit.
5. Contract your shoulder blades together and be careful not to arch your back.
6. Return the dumbbell to the starting position and repeat with the same arm.