Question

Living With Anxiety Disorders

What are the dietary recommendations for someone with anxiety?

• AMichael T. Murray, Naturopathic Medicine, answered

There are at least seven nutritional factors that may be responsible for triggering anxiety by raising blood lactic acid levels: caffeine, sugar, deficiency of B vitamins, deficiency of calcium or magnesium, alcohol, and food allergies. Simply avoiding caffeine, sugar, alcohol, and any foods that trigger allergies, along with boosting B vitamins, calcium, and magnesium, can go a long way in relieving anxiety. In fact, cutting out caffeine alone often results in the complete elimination of symptoms. The diet should be rich in foods that have higher levels of B vitamins, such as leafy vegetables, whole grains, and legumes. Foods high in calcium and magnesium include sea vegetables, sesame, milk, and dairy products as well as leafy green vegetables.

Find out more about this book:

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods
    Buy book
  • ARovenia Brock, PhD, Nutrition & Dietetics, answered
    Dr. Rovenia Brock - What are the dietary recommendations for someone with anxiety?

If you have anxiety, you can literally eat yourself calm, says nutritionist Dr. Rovenia Brock. To find out the best foods for countering stress and anxiety, watch the video.

Are there dietary changes I can make to cope with my anxiety disorder?