Question

Antiviral

Can I take Incivek if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?

• AStacy Wiegman, PharmD, Pharmacy, answered
    You should not take Incivek (telaprevir), a prescription drug for chronic hepatitis C infection, if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. It can be very dangerous, even fatal, to a developing fetus. Your doctor will likely give you a pregnancy test before you start taking Incivek and recommend that you use two methods of birth control to make sure that you don't become pregnant during the course of treatment. Also, a man should not take Incivek if his partner is pregnant.

As for breastfeeding, it is not known whether Incivek passes through breast milk, so the safest course is to not breastfeed while being treated with Incivek.

The bottom line: If you're pregnant, plan to become pregnant, have a pregnant partner or are breastfeeding, talk to your doctor about how to schedule your course of Incivek to minimize possible risks.
When can I stop taking Incivek?