Question

Antiobesity Agent

Will Hydroxycut help me lose weight?

• ADiscovery Health answered

In a nation that likes to eat its weight in deluxe gooeyburgers, a little pill that would reduce your pant size while giving you rock solid muscle would do well.
    And for a while, a pill called Hydroxycut did.
    Until recently, Hydroxycut was the number two non-prescription diet pill on the market, second only to Alli.
    What happened?
    The death of Baltimore Orioles pitcher Steve Belcher during spring training in 2003 for one thing.
    And another 155 deaths from heart attack and stroke were attributed to the ephedra, one of the pill's ingredients, which was banned by the FDA in 2004. Those things put a severe hurt on a product once used by the likes of pitcher Roger Clemens to boost strength and endurance, according to CNN.
    On May 1, 2009, Iovate Health Sciences Inc. - which makes Hydroxycut - and its American distributors voluntarily recalled more than a dozen products from its Hydroxycut product line.
    Turns out Hydroxycut, which supposedly burns fat, boosts your metabolism and suppresses your appetite, had a few problems.
    One of its magic ingredients is caffeine, a whole lot of it. The other, ephedra, which worked to generate heat by raising your metabolism beyond the normal rate in a process called thermogenisis, is banned.

Helpful? 3 people found this helpful.
Which drug should I take for long-term treatment of obesity?