Question

Antiobesity Agent

How much weight can I expect to lose if I take Belviq?

• AStacy Wiegman, PharmD, Pharmacy, answered
    If you respond to the appetite suppressant Belviq (lorcaserin), you should expect to lose at least 5 percent of your starting weight over the first three months that you take it. That means that if you weigh 200 pounds when you start taking Belviq according to your doctor's instructions, you should lose at least 10 pounds within 12 weeks. If you do not lose at least 5 percent of your starting weight in that time period, your doctor may tell you to stop taking the drug, because studies show it probably won't help you lose much more weight in the future.

In one large study, 47% of people who took Belviq for a year lost at least 5 percent of their weight, while only 20% of people on a placebo, or dummy pill, lost that much. About 23% of people who took Belviq lost 10% or more of their starting weight, compared with about 8% of people taking a placebo.

Belviq is approved by the Food and Drug Administration for use in adults who are obese, or who are overweight and have a weight-related health problem, such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol or type 2 diabetes. Doctors prescribe Belviq as part of an overall weight-loss program that includes exercise and a reduced-calorie diet. To maximize your weight loss, follow your doctor's instructions for dieting, exercising and taking Belviq.
  • AScripps Health answered

In clinical trials that included nearly 8,000 obese and overweight people who took Belviq, average weight loss ranged from 3 to 3.7 percent. People who combine the drug with diet and exercise are likely to lose more weight. If people do not lose 5 percent of their weight after 12 weeks of treatment, further use is likely to be ineffective and they should stop taking it.

Can taking Belviq help me keep weight off after I have lost it?