Question

Anticoagulant

What should be my INR level if I'm taking warfarin?

• Warfarin (Coumadin) is an anticoagulant or "blood thinner." Anti means against, and coagulant refers to blood clotting. An anticoagulant helps reduce the risk of clots forming in the blood. Warfarin treatment will be monitored through regular laboratory testing. The blood test is called a PT or protime and is reported as an INR which stands for International Normalized Ratio. After interpreting these results, your doctor will inform you whether or not a change needs to be made in your warfarin dosage.

Your target INR depends on the condition for which you are receiving treatment with anticoagulation. The most common INR range for patients is 2.0 to 3.0. "Low-intensity" is 1.5 to 2.0 and "high-intensity" is 3.0 to 4.0.
If my child is taking warfarin, is it safe for him to play outside?