Question

Antibiotic

Do I need antibiotics if I have green nasal mucus?

• AHealthyWomen answered
    A "green" runny nose is not necessarily an indication of a bacterial infection, but it could be. You should check with your healthcare professional. Persistent green secretions lasting beyond five to seven days can indicate a sinus infection, in which case you may need antibiotics.
  • When cold or flu germs infect the nose, the nose makes mucus to help wash the germs away. At first, the mucus is clear. But as the body's immune cells fight back, the mucus begins to change color. First it becomes white or yellow. Later it may become green. This is normal and does not mean you need an antibiotic. Still, if things don't improve after about 10 days -- or if your symptoms are severe -- see a doctor. It's possible that you've developed a sinus infection and need antibiotics.
Why must I take antibiotics before seeing the dentist if I have an implant?