Question

Anti-anxiety

Is Xanax one of the most highly addictive prescription drugs?

• ACharles Sophy, Psychiatry, answered

Alprazolam (Xanax) is an FDA controlled substance schedule IV - which means it has a potential for abuse, but not as great as drugs in lower classes - heroin and cocaine are schedule I, oxycodone (Oxycontin or Percocet) is schedule II, etc. Patients have both good and bad experiences with alprazolam. Withdrawal symptoms, if they occur, will vary amongst patients depending on their dose and how long they had been taking alprazolam. Alprazolam can be safely used - however, if you are taking alprazolam, you should be aware of the abuse potential and work with your doctor to develop a plan to manage your condition while balancing the benefits and the risks of this medication. As with any medication, you should always talk with your doctor before stopping alprazolam.

• AMediGuard answered
    Alprazolam (Xanax) is an FDA controlled substance schedule IV - which means it has a potential for abuse, but not as great as drugs in lower classes - heroin and cocaine are schedule I, oxycodone (Oxycontin or Percocet) is schedule II, etc.  As you can read from the many posts on this forum, people have both good and bad experiences with alprazolam. Withdrawals symptoms, if they occur, will vary amongst patients depending on their dose and how long they had been taking alprazolam.   Alprazolam can be safely used - however, if you are taking alprazolam, you should be aware of the abuse potential and work with your doctor to develop a plan to manage your condition while balancing the benefits and the risks of this medication. As with any medication, you should always talk with your doctor before stopping alprazolam.
What is Xanax?