A Answers (6)
Mehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answeredTo find out if your skin is aging faster than it should, take your facial fingerprint. Learn how to do this in this video of Dr. Oz.
Virtually every biochemical reaction in your skin is affected by the progression of time and exposure to harmful environmental conditions. Some of the manifestations of chronologic and environmental aging include:
- Loss of skin firmness
- Reduced skin elasticity
- Increased skin dryness
- Pigmentation disorders such as age spots and uneven pigmentation
- Loss of radiance and an increase in dullness
- Formation of fine lines and wrinkles
- Increased fragility to trauma creating bruises and rashes
- Greater translucency which shows more veins
- Increased redness due to blood vessel dilation
Greenville Health System answered
The signs of aging skin include uneven pigmentation, discoloration, blotchiness, sagging, wrinkling, and scarring. Continuing use of proper skin care products, such as gentle synthetic detergent cleansers and adequate moisturizers, can help to delay the onset of aging symptoms.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.Helpful? 2 people found this helpful.
RealAge answeredNormal skin aging can encompass a number of changes to the texture, tone, and thickness of skin. How quickly or slowly these changes happen can vary greatly from person to person. Common signs of skin aging include:
- loss of subcutaneous fat
- rough, leathery appearance
- decreased pigmentation such as pale, sallow complexion, and dark circles under the eyes
- uneven pigmentation such as blotchiness, discoloration, and ruddiness
- uneven texture
- increased dryness
- easier bruising and tearing
- increase in broken blood vessels
- increase in spots and blemishes such as age spots, freckles, moles, and actinic keratosis
- slower wound healing
Although some causes of skin aging are biological and inevitable, lifestyle does play a role.
Sharine Forbes, Gerontology, answered
The layers of skin, which make up the integument system, act a protective barrier against harmful environmental factors. As a part of the aging process there are several major age-related changes that happen over the lifespan in the cells and fibers of the integument. Some of these changes include but are not limited to the wrinkling of the skin, the thinning of the skin, changes in hair color, texture of the nails, along with changes in melanin and melanocytes which are responsible for skin color and even age spots.
Arthur Perry, MD, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, answeredOne of the most distressing signs of aging is called the nasolabial fold. You know what it is -- it's the line between the cheek and lip. Plastic surgeons have been filling the nasolabial folds with things like collagen, fat, Restylane and Radiesse for over 2 decades.