Question

Anesthesia for Surgical Procedures

What is ambulatory anesthesia?

• Ambulatory anesthesia is given to a patient in an ambulatory (or outpatient) surgery facility. Ambulatory anesthesia is tailored to meet the needs of ambulatory surgery so you can go home soon after your operation. Short-acting anesthetic drugs and specialized anesthetic techniques as well as care specifically focused on your needs are used to make your experience safe and pleasant. In general, if you are in reasonably good health, you are a candidate for ambulatory anesthesia and surgery. Because each patient is unique, your anesthesiologist will carefully evaluate you and your health status to determine if you should undergo ambulatory anesthesia.
Could anesthesia harm my baby if I need surgery while pregnant?